This started as a drawing exercise sketched along with Critical Role’s LIVE Pub Draw episode “Draw Percy Using the Loomis Method” (February 13, 2019). I revisited the sketch in August and and sold as a print at Rose City Comic Con 2019.
Original Sketch, February, 2019.
First time following along with #PubDraw instead of just watching it – had such a great time drawing @executivegoth‘s Percy with @babsdraws and @Marisha_Ray! I used an 1800s French military uniform for inspiration/reference instead of his usual coat. pic.twitter.com/HosO7zpN5h
— EmGee 🍂 (@MichelleGrenz) February 14, 2019
It was such an exciting experience to engage with this community over this character and my interpretation of him! Reactions to the original sketch posted on Twitter were quite positive and heartwarming. Babs Tarr even commented on the post! At RCCC, I also had some very passionate conversations with fellow “Critters” and two amazing people who were cosplaying Percy!
Michelle’s Must Reads
- Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers by Marcos Mateu-Mestre
- Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels by Scott McCloud
- Drawing Words and Writing Pictures: Making Comics: Manga, Graphic Novels, and Beyond by Jessica Abel
- Beginner’s Buide to Digital Painting in Photoshop from 3dtotal Publishing
- Character Mentor by Tom Bancroft
Haven’t Read Yet But Come HIGHLY Recommended
- Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney
- The Skillful Huntsman: Visual Development of a Grimm Tale at Art Center College of Design by Khang Le
- Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn’t Exist by James Gurney
- Directing The Story by Fancis Glebas
- Prepare to Board! by Nancy Beiman
Useful for Reference
- Comic Artist’s Photo Reference: People & Poses by Buddy Scalera
- Facial Expressions: A Visual Reference for Artists by Mark Simon